Activision Blizzard Inc. is facing additional charges of mistreating workers who had protested against the videogame maker’s response to sexual harassment and discrimination allegations.
In late July, Activision Blizzard
employees publicly disagreed with the company’s response to charges that female employees were subject to discrimination over pay and promotions as well as subjected to sexual harassment. Activision Blizzard Chief Executive Bobby Kotick admitted that the company’s initial response had been “tone deaf,” just before a one-day walkout by employees in protest.
On Tuesday, the Communication Workers of America announced it had filed unfair labor practice charges against Activision Blizzard over how the company treated workers following those protests.
The complaint was filed on Friday to the National Labor Relations Board alleging that Activision Blizzard used coercive statements, actions and rules against employees, along with interrogating them.
In August, Activision Blizzard spent much of its quarterly earnings call with analysts stressing that the company had a zero-tolerance policy concerning discrimination and harassment. The CWA said its filing was in response to Activision Blizzard’s actions against protesting employees.
“Instead of responding to these demands, Activision Blizzard management is using coercive tactics to attempt to prevent its employees from exercising their rights to stand together and demand a more equitable, sustainable and diverse workplace,” the CWA said in a statement. “It is their right as workers to organize for a work environment free from abuse, discrimination and sexual harassment, and this right is protected by federal labor law.”
Requests for comment from Activision Blizzard were not returned as of time of publication.