Oil and gas explorers were in heavy demand throughout the day. IT names also bounced back while banks saw buying as well. On the other end, pharma, realty and metal stocks were under pressure.
The 30-share pack Sensex rose 445.56 points or 0.75 per cent to close at 59,744.88. The index gyrated in the 652-point range. Its broader peer NSE Nifty advanced 131.05 points or 0.74 per cent to 17,822.30.
Market at a glance:
- HFCL hits 5 per cent upper circuit limit after bagging Rs 288 cr order
- Telcos gain up to 3 per cent as govt to drop spectrum usage charge
- Oil and gas explorers in the spotlight on crude oil rally
- IT stocks bounce back on weakness in rupee against US dollar
- India VIX, a barometer of volatility and fear, drops over 2 per cent
MORE TO COME..